Quiche with pattison and zucchini
Beetroot salad with apple, coriander and sunflower seeds
- 500g small beetroots in different colors 1/2 sour apple
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 handful of sunflower seeds or oven baked barley
Grill the sunflower seeds in a pan or in the oven. Cut the apple into small cubes of 0.3 to 0.5 cm and mix with the lemon juice. Mix the apples, red beet, sunflower seeds, white wijazijn, olive oil, chopped garlic, salt and pepper. Ready!
Beetroot leaves salad with fennel and red onion
- Two large hands beet leaves, chopped into large pieces 1 small fennel, chopped (* do not discard stems)
- 3 red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp mustard
Heat the olive oil in a pan and fry the onion with the chili and garlic until the onion starts to golden. Add the mustard. Add the beet leaves and stir occasionally. Season with salt and pepper.
Quiche with pattison and young zucchini
Dough for a dough (27 cm diameter):
- 200g spelt flour
- 90g butter at room temperature pinch of salt
- black pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons water
Mix all ingredients in a bowl, first with a knife, afterwards with cool hands. Wrap the dough in a towel and let rest in the fridge for at least an hour. (Or make the dough the day before).
Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Remove the chilled dough from the refrigerator and knead again thoroughly.
Roll out the dough and place the dough in a buttered form. Prick the dough and bake for 20 minutes in the pre- heated oven.
For the filling:
- 1 small zucchini, cut into 2 cm
- 300 small, yellow and green pattypan squash, cut in big pieces
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 3 chilli, finely chopped
- 1 black pepper, cut into 0.5 cm pieces
- 1 Crottin de Chavignol (or another flavorful goat cheese), cut into small pieces
- 250 gr cream
- 4 eggs
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- half a bundle of fresh basil
Sauté the shallots along with the chili in olive oil. Add the peppers and simmer for 2 minutes. Then add the pattypans and zucchini and cook for a while. Pour the filling the the pie form and arrange the pattypans so that their shapes are visible. Crumble the cheese and add them to the pie form. Mix the cream with salt, pepper and eggs and pour over the vegetables pie. Add the chopped basil on top and bake for 35 minutes until golden. Serve the quiche warm or cold.
Barley salad with carrot, fennel and lemon basil
- 250 g barley (uncooked)
- 500g carrots, cut into 0.5 cm (brunoise)
- stalks of fennel, finely chopped
- 1 hand parsley, finely chopped
- 1 hand lemon balm, finely chopped
- 1 hand basil, finely chopped
- 1/2 sour apple, diced, in the juice of 1/2 lemon salt and pepper
- cider vinegar to taste
Boil 500g barley cooked according to the directions on the package. Let the barley cool. Blanch the carrot pieces al dente. Mix everything together and season to taste with salt, pepper and cider vinegar.
Red orach with vinaigrette
- Two hands red orach
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp honey
- salt and pepper
- Stir all the ingredients in a bowl until a creamy texture is formed.
Zucchini pasta with coriander and sesame seeds
- 4 small zucchini, cut into thin pasta-like ribbons using a mandoline or a spirelli cutter
- 1 bunch cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp black sesame seeds
- 3 tbsp sesame oil
- apple cider vinegar to taste salt and pepper
Mix the zucchini pasta with the oil. Season with salt, pepper, coriander and apple cider vinegar. Mix in the sesame seeds.
Tomatoes and beans salad
- 500 gr tomatoes
- 2 handful of green beans
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Some balsamic vinegar 2 tablespoons 1 bunch fresh basil
- salt and pepper
Bring a pot of water to a boil. With a sharp knife, make a cross in the bottom of the tomato. Submerge the toma- toes for a few seconds in boiling water and cool immediately in cold water. Peel the tomatoes. Cook the beans in salted water until al dente. Scare in cold water. Cut the tomatoes into eight pieces. Cut the beans diagonally into pieces. Mix the tomatoes, beans with oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Tear the basil leaves into small pieces and mix them with the rest. Keep some of leaves as decoration.
Apricot Pie (From Four and Twenty Blackbirds)
- All-butter crust
- 2TBS fresh lemon juice
- 11 /2 pounds apricots, quartered and stones removed (4 tp 5 cups)
- 3 /4 cups granulated sugar
- ¼ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 3TBS potato starch
- 3 dashes angostura or Old Fashion Bitters
- Egg wash
- Demerara sugar for finishing
Have ready and refrigerated one pastry lined 9 inch pie pan and pastry round or lattice to top. Sprinkle the lemon juice over the prepared apricots to prevent browning. In a separate bowl, whisk together the granulated and brown sugars, cinnamon, salt and potato starch. Toss the sugar mixture with the apricots and bitters. Pour the filling into the refrigerated pie shell, arrange the lattice or pastry round on the top and crimp as desire. Chill the pie in the refrigerator for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, position the oven racks in the botton and center position, place a rimmed baking sheet on the bottom rack, and preheat the oven to 215°C. Brush the pastry with the egg wash to coat, if your pie has a lattice top, be careful not to drag the filling onto the pastry (i twill burn). Sprinkle with the desired amount of demerara sugar. Place the pie on the rimmed baking sheet on the lowest rack of the oven. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the pastry is set and beginning to brown . Lower then oven tempretaure to 190°C, move the pie to the center oven rack, and continue to bake until the pastry is a deep golden brown and the juices are bubbling throughout, 30 to 35 minutes longer.
Photographs by Svein G. Kjøde